Features of the breed
History of Origin
Unfortunately, there is no exact information about the origin of the Lagotto Romagnolo. It is believed that it may be a relative of the peat dog, which lived before Christ. There is also a theory that the ancestor of dogs is the ash dog breed. After all, it is considered the ancestor of hound dogs.
Swedish naturalist Linnaeus described curly-haired dogs back in the XVIII century. The dog had such features: stiff curly hair, cheerful character, the ability to hunt in water. The original purpose of the Lagotto Romagnolo was precisely to prey on all swimming wild animals. After all, the dogs’ fur was perfectly conducive to this.
But over time, the areas of Italy where the dogs lived and hunted in the water were drained. Then dogs began to be used for hunting for truffles. Thanks to their excellent smell and flair, the dogs found mushrooms that grew even very deep.
The breed was first recognized in 1991, and soon they were officially approved. Nowadays, the Lagotto Romagnolo is actively used in the police, fire department during searches, and drug detection.
Appearance: height, weight, fur, color
The dog has a strong build, medium height, proportional shape. The height of males is approximately 46 cm, bitches – 43 cm. The weight of the first ones is 13-16 kg, while the weight of bitches is 11-14 kg.
The head is not large, a little longer than the muzzle. The ears have a small shape, triangular. The dog is stoutly built; the expressive trait is a dense, curly coat.
The eyes of the Lagotto Romagnolo are large, rounded, usually brown, or shades of brown. The nose is also large, with wide-open nostrils. The neck is muscular and strong, slightly curved. The tail is covered with a slightly fluffy, saber-shaped coat.
The coat is densely textured, semi-coarse, with curls that curl into a ring. On the head, the curls are not as dense as on the body. The colors can be white, white and brown, dark brown, and spotted.
Lagotto Romagnolo is a very active, friendly dog. He does not like to spend time alone, so he always needs a person nearby. Very hard working, not accustomed to idleness or laziness. He is always looking for adventure and ready to play and exercise all the time.
Treats children well, loves to spend time and play with them. Other animals in the same territory can get along because she is non-confrontational. He is suspicious of strangers. Always warns the owner about guests.
However, it is worth remembering that the Lagotto Romagnolo is a real hunter. And sometimes, her instincts and habits may wake up. Representatives of the breed will want long walks, movement, and developmental games, active outdoor activities.
The Lagotto Romagnolo will enjoy spending a lot of time outdoors, walking with their owner in the park. It is worth considering, as they may find it difficult to live in a city apartment because of the constant need for activity. A dog can keep them company while jogging and biking. Walks should be taken 2-3 times a day.
Dogs’ coats are hardly shed and have no canine odor, which does not make grooming difficult. About once a week, the coat should be combed out, removing loose hairs.
The condition of the eyes, mouth, and ears should be checked regularly. If necessary, clean gently with a cotton pad or tissue.
This breed is easy to train because of its good memory and intelligence. They need to please the owner and receive his approval and praise constantly. They can easily be taught not only basic commands but also various tricks and tricks. Training should always be scheduled and last no more than an hour. It is better to combine training with games because the Lagotto Romagnolo is very playful.
The pets have a very vulnerable psyche. They should not be punished, forced to obey commands, or shout at them. They take it to heart.
Dogs have excellent health. If cared for properly, vaccinated on time, and seen by a doctor, the Lagotto Romagnolo can easily live up to 16 years old. It is important to treat the coat against ticks and fleas once every four months to remedy worming.
The Lagotto Romagnolo can be fed both natural food and quality feed. If you choose natural food, then 70% of the diet should be meat and by-products, the remaining 30% – vegetables, cereals. Once a week, fish or dairy products can be given. The pet should always have fresh drinking water readily available.